I finally gave up and drank the cool-aid of the Bootstrap theme. The main reason was that I noticed the site was basically unusable on any mobile device, including tablet computers like the iPad, which are unfortunately very, very common. Phones wouldn't render the site in a legible way either, unfortunately. The change is rather drastic, so I figured it was important to mention it here.
not so satisfied pretty exctied with the result: the theme is very basic, if not absent. I actually like that purified form now, and it works
across devices now much better.
But I do feel I just made my blog look like everyone else that uses Bootstrap. We seem to enter an era where non-graphic designers (like me) are back to building web pages that all look the same, not very different, in a way, from the old days of plain HTML, like the default ikiwiki theme. I did some work to change the look at least minimally, but the top black navbar is really a killer giveaway this is a bootstrap theme. Bootstrap does a lot for the typography, at least when checking the presslabs checklist or the practical typography checklist, but I still had to change the main body width, which helped a lot I think.
Anyways, the old Night City theme is still available for download and I could still flip it back on here if I need to.
The new theme keeps the distractions away, but ironically, it's slower than the previous theme even though there are no images and basically no colors at all. On my tests, it now loads in about 3.42 seconds on the "Regular 2G (250Kbps)" simulation of Chromium with 72KB in 12 requests. Whereas my tests with the previous theme were taking 3.25 seconds with 43.5KB in 17 requests. This is due to the Bootstrap CSS, which takes a whopping 19KB itself, but especially because I now load JQuery, which takes a whopping 32.8KB! And that is probably gzip-compressed, as the original is more around 90KB.
But at least the thing is readable on phones and tablets now. Compare:
Samsung S3, before
Samsung S3, after
I like this: much simpler, purer version on smaller devices. And we see what counts: the freaking text.
Of course, on tablets, it doesn't fare as well: the top menu gets wrapped around...
Apple iPad, before
Apple iPad, after
Still, I think it's better that way, more readable, and less crufty.
How it was done
After doing a thorough evaluation of all the Bootstrap ikiwiki themes I could find (there are more than 4 at least!), I figured I prefered the Jak Linux one. It seemed to be better implemented than the others, cleaner, and I liked the mean black border on top. Black is cool. Oh, and I liked the subtle footer as well. Subtle is cool.
Unfortunately, that theme originally required a custom plugin to have a menu on top, which i thought was silly. So I patched it to make it work with the sidebar plugin, which turned out to be trivially simple: just dump the sidebar content, and make the sidebar page have explicit HTML tags in it that match Bootstrap's required classes. I also added the regular action links in the top navbar, but that does overload it quite a bit. I also did some code cleanups and various other small changes, all of which are available in my personnal git repo.
What doesn't work
So of course, there are always problems. The first problem is the extra bandwidth usage. Not sure that can be fixed, other than switching to the upcoming Bootstrap 4, which is smaller than Bootstrap 3, bizarrely.
The more annoying problems are weird alignment issues. If the screen
gets two narrow without kicking some collapse rules in place (the iPad
bug above), the navbar rows overflow and look ugly. Even more bizarre,
in some cases the right navbar can just completely disappear, in fact,
that's the only fix I could find: to assign the
hidden-sm classes to the
<UL> element. But then it
just goes away, which is pretty darn stupid. Still - I assigned the
classes to a few actions that seemed low priority, both in the theme
and in the sidebar page.
I ended up merging this with the backlinks, tags and trails navigation items.
I ended up theming comments the same way i did for Night City, which looks pretty good, but is not in sync with the LESS stuff in Bootstrap.
I also add to add back trails, backlinks and favicon... looks like the Jak theme wasn't made for a blog after all... but that's now fixed!
Another improvement would be to change the font from the canonical Helvetica to something prettier, like suggested in Practical Typography, in the font recommendations section, or the presslabs checklist. So far I have settled on Mozilla's Fira font (which means, yes, one set of objects is actually loading from the CDN, sorry). Feedback welcome.